Tunisia : Institutional reinforcement
Tunisia : Reinforcing the institutional capacities of the Superior Institute of the Lawyer Profession (ISPA - jan. 2012 - dec. 2014)
This action is part of a strategy to improve the judicial system, to consolidate state if law and Human Rights respect, to propose a new organisation of ISPA which would be a response to the context of transition towards democracy and state of law, and to consolidate a training device.
The profession of lawyers, and more broadly of Human Rights defenders, has been repressed under Ben Ali's regime. Since the so-called "Jasmine" revolution in 2011, Tunisia is experiencing a period of transition and tries to reform its judicial system. Training intern-lawyers seemed to be a major challenge for the erection of a new institution.
From the start of the project, the Superior Institute of the Lawyers Profession was responsible for the training of the students who passed the entrance test, for the deliverance of the Professional Lawyer Certificate which enables to register with the Bar and to improve the experience of the practicing lawyers by organising seminaries, study days and practical internships.
- Provide an adminstrative and financial organisation by the ISPA (better management and independant education)
- Set up a selection device as well as a training device for trainers (new tools and educational teaching materials, training actions)
- Review completely the initial training program (by favouring the practical dimension of the training)
- Develop an action plan for the growth of continued training programme (analysis of the needs, proposal of formules, development of an action plan)
- Favour international cooperation between the ISPA and other training institue for lawyers (good practices sharing, internships abroad)
- Structural reform of the ISPA staff.
- Recruitment and first day in office of management employees, general secretary, project director and bureau's head).
- Definition of the admission criteria and educational program: organization of an entrance test, preparation of a new training programme, development of an educational calender harmonising new trainings with the old ones.
With the financial support of the European Union.